Tuesday 4 March 2014

Top 10 Favorite Music Artists

After receiving the majority of votes on my poll (again, just one vote!) this list is a little something to commemorate 1000 views of my blog. As you can probably tell by glancing through the list, my tastes in music fall more into the mellow varieties; the more calm and sombre tunes which I find very relaxing. Some of the artists you may not even recognise but nonetheless I hope you enjoy reading.
10. Coldplay
Coldplay have been around for a while now and stand as one of the best and most well-known British pop groups in modern times and with their latest album, Ghost Stories coming out this year, there’s no better time to be a fan. Their music has become immensely popular, making its way into films, such as the recent ‘’Hunger Games: Catching Fire’’, not to mention the band winning numerous awards over their nearly eighteen year career. I’ve always been particularly fond of their vibrant styles as well as their more subdued tracks.

Personal Favourites: 1st Paradise, 2nd The Scientist, 3rd Atlas


9. Bastille
You may be surprised to learn that I only recently got into Bastille towards the end of 2013 when I listened to some of my flat mate’s playlists, which eventually convinced me to download their singles. In a similar way to James Blunt, lead singer Dan Smith has a very specific, more gravelly voice which really sells the songs and sets Bastille apart from other modern alternative rock bands. Bastille are another one of those upcoming bands that have real potential to have a long and successful career. No doubt we’ll be seeing a new album from them at some point.

Personal Favourites: 1st Of the Night, 2nd Things we lost in the fire, 3rd Pompeii


8. Daniel Powter
I first caught wind of Canadian singer Daniel Powter in 2006 with ‘’Bad Day’’, a single that sky-rocketed up the chart and was well loved by all of my family when it came out. After this, Powter never managed to reach the same high as he did with his original single but he still finds time to get some singles out into the world. Recently I downloaded some tracks from 2010’s ‘’Best of Me’’ and similar to Keane it boasts some solid piano work and heartfelt lyrics.

Personal Favourites: 1st Love you lately, 2nd Free Loop, 3rd Bad Day


7. Del Amitri
The oldest band to hit my list, Del Amitri are a Scottish band who were very popular through the 80s and 90s; I first heard of them when my dad introduced me to ‘’Just like a man’’ many years ago. Their music is made up of catchy lyrics and some brilliant solos on guitar and bass. Although they’re much less prominent nowadays, they’re still in the music business, having done a recent tour along with the lead singer, Justin Currie setting out on a solo career. In my view they’re one of the most underrated bands around.

Personal Favourites: 1st Always the last to know, 2nd Be my downfall, 3rd Just like a man


6. Embrace
Embrace are a band who seem fairly conspicuous in the music world; I would often compare them to Coldplay and Keane when it comes to using a wide variety of instruments and a projection of voice. After their best known album ‘’Out of nothing’’ in 2004 and ‘’This new day’’ in 2006 the band vanished for seven long years but have finally returned in 2014 with a new album and tour on the way. It’s great to have them back and I’m certain that their newest album simply titled ‘’Embrace’’ will put them back in the spotlight when it launches at the end of April.

Personal Favourites: 1st Nature’s Law, 2nd A Glorious Day, 3rd Ashes


5. James Blunt
James Blunt’s many songs have delighted many an audience over the years and I am no exception. He has endured because of his distinctive voice and a near perfect balance of emotional songs such as ‘’Carry you home’’, mixed with more cheerful, upbeat tunes such as the recent ‘’Bonfire Heart’’. 2014’s Moon Landing proved that Blunt is still going strong more than ten years after he made his debut.

Personal Favourites: 1st So far gone, 2nd 1973, 3rd I’ll be your man


4. Gabrielle Aplin
With some beautiful lyrics, wondrous music videos and an all-around soothing voice, Gabrielle Aplin is the perfect artist to relax to; since her breakthrough with a lovely rendition of ‘’The Power of Love’’ for Christmas 2012, she has since released her first album, English Rain and gone on tour with it. This tour also housed my first ever music concert down at the O2 Academy in Bournemouth last year. I’m looking forward to seeing more from Gabby in the future.

Personal Favourites: 1st Salvation, 2nd Alive, 3rd The Power of Love


3. John Newman
As the newest artist on my list, John Newman makes the list for one simple thing; the piano solos that have complimented a majority of his tracks so far. Whenever those solos start playing, you just know that things are in business and as such, his songs simply never get old and many others think that too. He was praised throughout 2013 by numerous publications and has recently been nominated for two Brit Awards this year. Newman shows no signs of slowing down and his tracks will no doubt continue to chart in the years to come.

Personal Favourites: 1st Losing Sleep, 2nd Cheating, 3rd Love me Again


2. Tom Odell
Another new artist making a name for himself, Tom Odell boasts a powerful voice and some incredible skill in creating killer piano beats for his songs. Another Love, I Know, Till I lost, the list goes on; each song is fantastic in the way Odell melds his piano with his voice to create some unforgettable tracks. Most recently I bought his debut album ‘’Long Way Down’’ which will likely soon be followed with even more singles. Tom Odell came pretty close to taking the number one spot, but ultimately settled at number 2.

Personal Favourites: 1st I know, 2nd Another Love, 3rd Till I lost

1. Keane
Come on, you all knew this was coming! They may be on a break now but Keane unquestionably remains my all-time favourite band. Ever since I first listened to the fantastic ‘’somewhere only we know’’ in 2004 I’ve never stopped following the band in the years that have followed. Their most recent albums ‘’Strangeland’’ and ‘’The Best of Keane’’ were released in 2012 and 2013 respectively and even with all the newer bands on the list, they continue to be the band I listen to the most and I will undoubtedly continue to do so whilst eagerly awaiting their eventual return.

Personal Favourites: 1st Crystal Ball, 2nd My Shadow, 3rd Silenced by the Night















Honorable mentions include Owl City for ‘’Fireflies’’, ‘’Kamikaze’’ and ‘’When can I see you again?’’ and The Fray for ‘’How to save a life’’ and ‘’Look after you’’.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.